This fellowship is extremely competitive; candidates who do not submit all required documents on time are unlikely to be selected for an interview.
Prospective fellows are expected to demonstrate excellent academic accomplishments and a strong interest in issues of peace and security. Graduate study, a college major, course work, or substantial independent reading that reflects the substantive focus of the fellowship is also a plus. Prior experience with public-interest activism or advocacy is highly desirable. It is preferred, but not required, that such activities be focused on peace and security issues.
Experience with public-interest activism or advocacy such as:
- Received a bachelor’s or master’s degree within the past few years
- Have a background and strong interest in one or more of the approved policy issues addressed by the fellowship [link to list of issues]
- Excellent academic accomplishments
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Prior experience with public-interest activism or advocacy is highly desirable
- Considering a career working on international peace and security issues with public-interest organizations, the Federal Government, academia, or media
- United States citizens living in the U.S. or overseas are eligible to apply
- Non-U.S. citizens may only apply if they live in the U.S. and have a U.S. work visa for the duration of the fellowship. Non-U.S. citizens living outside the United States are not eligible to apply.
Candidates are required to have completed a baccalaureate degree by the time the fellowship commences. Preference is given to United States citizens, although a fellowship to a foreign national residing in the U.S. is awarded periodically. Non-U.S. citizens living outside the United States are not eligible to apply. The Scoville Fellowship is not intended for students or scholars interested in pursuing independent research in Washington, DC.
Preference will be given to individuals who have not had substantial prior public-interest or government experience in the Washington, DC area.